International Contender Association

 

Minutes of
Annual General Meeting
Wednesday, 4 August, 2004
Fraglia della Vela di Riva del Garda
Italia
Submitted by Gil Woolley, Secretary
Many thanks to Tim Holden who was recording.
Revision A 26 May, 2005

 
 

Minutes of the ICA agenda, held at Italian Garda Worlds, Wednesday 4 August 2004
No of members attending ---------------------(Soren has list)


Apologies for non attendance

One received from Gil Woolley due to being detained by local Police

Minutes from last meeting were read out. Proposed as accurate and unanimous vote
to accept passed.

Reports

Technical report from Alan Mollatt was discussed in full, and a copy is attached
(click on link above to see report)
A number of rule changes were proposed

To adopt ISAF E.R.S (2005-2008) - unanimously accepted by show of hands
Rule 17.2 bringing sail measurement in line with ERS - agreed
Rule 17.6 re headboard dimensions - agreed
Rule 17.8 re aft head point - agreed
Rule 13.1 re 2 part masts. The proposal was to limit the joint area, but discussion led to a changed
proposal to simply delete the fact that sections had to be permanently fixed together ie allowing
the joint to be anywhere on the mast, and to be removable to ease transport. Discussion included
the fact that at a regatta or championship only one top and one bottom section was allowed, and
no pivoting was to be allowed, in accordance with existing rules. Alan will redraft this
amendment. It was full y accepted by those voting.

Rule 13.1 part two re allowing 50mm flex in mast. In vote one member was against, rest for.

Other technical issues were discussed under this report, and two proposals were made.

Andrea Bonezzi proposed to allow epoxy resins to be used in the manufacture of GRP boats along
side existing polyester resins. Much discussion, with boat builders warning of increased costs
(aprox £800 per boat) and incompatibility between compounds leading to delamination.
Vote 27 for and 18 against so proposal defeated

An Australian proposal to allow amateur builders to build in GRP, as an extension to the
existing limitation of only wood or composite completion of GRP hulls. In the vote it was
fully supported, with the proviso of the existing limitation of only one boat per year for own use.


Secretary Report was read out and accepted.

No report was provided by the treasurer. This led to vocal challenge as to why, and no real
reason could be found to placate the members. Christoph explained his problems of extracting
information from his predecessor, and it seems the account was under the control of the German
Association, rather than with ICA officers. This MUST be changed, and Christop needs to
approach the bank for new signing mandates so that ICA officers are able to deal with the
account.

The president and the chairman explained that a successful meeting had been held with the
Italian association and an agreement has been reached for a final payment to bring their account
up to date. See below re future expenditure.

Election of Officers and committee members:
The existing officers and committee were re – elected to stand for a further year, with 3 members
voting against.

The following were unanimously accepted onto the committee as National Representatives:-
Switzerland Jacqueline Rufenacht
Italy Andrea Bonezzi
Denmark Moses Lovstad
Australia Alan Grifiths
Netherlands Hans Van der Viet
Germany Tobias Abarbanell
UK Simon Mussell
No nominations were received from Austria, USA, Canada, France, Spain Etc

Annual Levy to ICA and how we should spend the current balance of 21.000€.

There was a proposal to substantially drop the fee, and to change it to Euros, rather than
£ Sterling.
Eventually a proposal from Roy Otten to change the fee to 6 €(ie remain unchanged other than
the currency switch) was voted upon and agreed by a majority, with 2 against.
How to spend our cash……. Topics discussed……..


Class promotion within individual countries.
Over the past years much has been spent, and claimed from ICA to support this area of
expenditure. While not ruling it out in the future, National Associations have been reminded
that ANY expense in this area where ICA grants are needed MUST be pre agreed ie national
associations cannot spend and then claim or deduct these costs from their ICA annual Levy.

An agreement in one year does not confer agreement for subsequent years.
Areas which will be considered for support include :-
National exhibitions
Publicity materials that can be used within all countries
Grants towards European and world championships
Reimbursement for discounts allowed to juniors at world or European events (not national events)
Professionally run training events aimed at developing grass roots racing

Much discussion took place on how to encourage sailors from under represented nations attend
world events. Specifically Australian sailors put forward a case for support, from direct container
support to discounted, or free entry fees, but this can also be used to argue the case for USA,
Canada, France, Spain etc. There was a strong feeling from members that some support should
be given, with a proposal that we should even allow a special fund to be set up by voluntary
donation / annual levy by sailors wishing to pledge extra support for this specific purpose.
This is a point that the committee needs to discuss, possibly encouraging National Associations
to seek additional small voluntary contributions. There was a definite feeling that our championships
would be a poorer place without an international contingent.

No formal proposition was put to a vote, but the committee agreed to produce a budget, based on
our known income and likely expenditure, and how we intend to use the money wisely in supporting
the class development.


Championship Rules: These have been on the ICA web site since 2001. They were circulated,
and further copies made available after the meeting. Tim Holden (TJH) explained how important
it was to bring our Championship rules up to date. A unanimous vote was received in support.
Thanks were expressed to Chris Mitchell for his drafting.


Association Rules

These have been redrafted by TJH to reflect how the committee and association is currently run.
Copies were made available, and a copy is attached. A unanimous vote was received and the item passed.

Future Events
2005 Worlds Travemünde, Germany Worlds 23-29 July, 2005
2006 Worlds Fremantle, Australia 2-7 January, 2006. Paul Green guaranteed no rain
and girls on the beach. Then he distributed brochures
2006 Europeans Austria 27/8 to 1/9 ** info added revision A
2007 Netherlands 2007 will be on the Ijsselmeer. We haven't decided the date and
which side of the lake yet. As soon as we know, you will ** info added revision A
2008 Worlds Canada will be in late August in 2008. We don't want to wait until fall as we may have iceberg issues. (yes Matt that is a joke) ** info added revision A
2008 Europeans: I think you mean... Cervia, not Gallia (a famous luxury
hotel in Milan) :-)(south of Venice) in May or June ** info added revision A
Secretary sincerely gives thanks to many people who have provided more accurate
information in May 2005.


ACTION POINTS
Secretary: As all proposals were accepted in general meeting, please prepare postal votes for all
rule changes under technical report, Championship Rules and Association Rules.

Treasurer: Investigate signing capacity at bank and obtain documentation for amendment to
bring control under ICA officers.

Chairman/Treasurer: Look at budget for 2005 expenditure

The meeting was adjourned.
Revision A was posted Wednesday 26 May, 2005